Skip to main content

Sisterly Love in Taos!!

I realize it’s been awhile since I’ve posted anything and that’s mostly because I’ve been busy – and slightly overwhelmed!! I’ve been pushing and plodding along the last six weeks or so since fishing season opened – feeling slightly overwhelmed with all the busyness and “extroverted energy” required (chatting with guests, rearranging reservations, phone calls, emails, making sure all the details are covered, etc.)!! Now granted, it’s not like I haven’t thrived with this kind of work before – it’s just that with all the energy being expended at work AND living with people all around me, I haven’t been getting the “alone time” I need to regroup and get grounded/centered.

Fortunately, I have wonderful friends and family that keep me going – one of whom (my sister, Sheryl) came to spend time with me last week!! (And, I’m excited to say, my friend Becca is coming in six weeks – mid August when I’ll probably be ready for another BREAK and get-away from life here on the Ranch!!) Sheryl made it here after dark (drove very carefully so as not to run over the elk and other wildlife who threatened to cross the road!!), and GOODNESS I was happy to see a friendly/familiar face!!  I had to work the next morning (Monday) at 5:30am, but that didn’t keep us from talking into the night – after all, I can survive on just a few hours sleep if it’s just that one night!!

After working until 2:00 p.m. on Monday, we loaded up the rental car and headed over the mountains to Taos! The drive was beautiful – more GREEN than I’ve seen for weeks!!! – and it just felt good to get off the Ranch and away from all the “seasonal employee” drama that can start to consume a person here! We stayed at the Sagebrush Inn – DARLING, older (but well-kept) hotel in Taos that included a REAL breakfast (not just muffins)!! When I was looking for WHERE Sheryl and I should escape to, we decided that air conditioning and a POOL were at the top of our list! And the charming, adobe-style buildings (and lush courtyard) at the Sagebrush was just the backdrop we needed for all our catching up and lazing by the pool!!

Lazy breakfasts and yummy, STRONG coffee to start the day, cooling ourselves in the crystal, clear waters of the pool (and trying to keep enough sunscreen on my chest to keep it from itching!!), lunch a couple times at an outdoor (but shaded and cool) deli in town, an afternoon movie in the air conditioned theater, nachos every night on the cozy (and cool) patio at Orlando’s – and, of course, special time with each other!! – made this trip more memorable than any I’ve had in awhile!! It was definitely the company, but also just getting away from the day-to-dayness of life here on the Ranch that gave me just what I needed to come back and start that work cycle all over again!!

I’m sure there’s more to tell, but every time I wait until I’ve said everything, it is old news and I end up not posting!  So I’ll just post what I’ve got thus far and then post again if I think of more tomorrow!!  Sending my love to all of you who are keeping with me via my blog….until next time!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to