Skip to main content

Beginnings and Endings 2016!!

Somehow this post got on Facebook last year, but not on my travel blog!! I think I had great intentions of writing a more in-depth post for my blog, but it never seemed to be the right time as I processed through my experience and lived my life back at home in 2016!! So here is last year's UK Border experience in a nutshell....


(Written on Jan 3, 2016)...Some of you may have noticed that I'm in Indiana instead of the UK, so I figured I'd give you the short version of my "ordeal" with the UK Border & Customs people a few days ago!!

I arrived assuming I would be okay as a visitor under their "Visitor 6-month visa" but when I got there the Border agent decided I was a "high risk" for overstaying my welcome!!  Bottom line (which doesn't apply at ALL to me, but she couldn't see that)....I had already been in France for 3 months - add on a couple months in the UK and she was concerned that I might decide to stay illegally and "use up their resources" because I didn't appear to have solid ties in the US (seriously??!?).  She was concerned that I wouldn't return because I would have been away from the US for almost 6 months.  (Well, YES!!! - that was the whole idea, right?!?!) ;)

So they detained me over 24 hours while they made their decision (eventually agreeing to let me use the return portion of my ticket home instead of making me go back to France), then kept me in an overnight detention center until the next day when I could catch a flight home!!  Overall it was a fairly traumatic ordeal, but I was gifted with some really kind people all along the way to make it less scary! The worst thing for me was letting down the two ladies who were counting on me to care for their home and cats (one in London for a week and one in the Cotswolds for 2 months)!!

There were many miracles, lessons, kindnesses and laughter along my journey the last few days (along with a lot of tears, frustration, sadness and disappointment), but I'm a firm believer that everything happens for a reason - and there is a Divine Plan that is in the works - and I guess I am NOT meant to be in the UK at this time!  I always hope that the meaning and/or lessons in experiences like this become clear so I know WHY, but I'm trusting that there's a reason I was unceremoniously shipped home (at my expense, mind you)!! :(

I'll be in Indiana enjoying "my babies" for about a week, then I'll head back to Oregon to regroup and figure out what's next!  One of these days I might get a blog post written with more details because there truly were many miracles and kindness along the way that I would love to share, but right now I'm ready to put that experience behind me and let it go....releasing it with the rest of 2015 - gleaning the lessons and moving onto the next step in my journey!! :)

Sending all of you dear friends Love & Light - and wishing you a wonderful journey in 2016!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to