Skip to main content

Life in Genoa...

I can't believe it's been almost a week since I left Portland...time seems to be running in a very surreal way! It's been a more challenging adjustment than I expected because I was knocked over with the cold I thought I had left behind before boarding the plane (and my body STILL hasn't figured out what time I am supposed to be sleeping)! I shouldn't be surprised about the cold catching up with me again after wandering around in a sweatshirt in below-freezing weather in Venice after no sleep for 30 hours, but I was surprised when it found me again halfway around the world!! So between the cold and trying to recover from my long travel day and the time zone adjustment, it's been a challenge! 

The first day after my arrival, Stefano (the dad) stayed home from work to show me the ropes and what they need me to do to help with their girls. Valentina (the 14 year old) comes home from  school around 1:00, and Beatrice (the 11 year old whose name I can't seem to pronounce correctly no matter how hard I try.... something like Bay-ah-TREE-cha) comes home at 2:00. We have lunch at 2 o'clock on the dot so they can stay on schedule for their afternoon of studying (45 minutes of which is English conversation between myself and Valentina, and 50 minutes of helping Beatrice with her KET preparation...something similar to an ESL test)! Fortunately, all they really expect is a bowl of pasta and some fruit or something like that, so I'm not expected to cook a big meal...whew!!


Probably one of the most challenging aspects of adjusting has been finding my balance between time alone for my introverted self with how much time to spend with the family (and how much time they want me in their space). The first day was the most stressful because all I wanted to do was sleep and recover from my long day of travel, but I could see that Stefano really wanted to tell me all about the sights to see and how to get places...so I pushed on through until bedtime! By the second day, I was relieved to find myself all alone with the cat snuggled next to me, so I got to sleep in, wake up slowly, drink my coffee and ponder life before the girls came home for lunch!

It has been an adjustment as I figure out personalities, family dynamics, and expectations, etc. But with all of the challenges physically this week being sick (and some emotional challenges as I adapt), I find myself looking at the gorgeous sunsets over the water and listening to the bells from the church down the road calling the neighborhood to Mass and wonder, "how could I NOT be ecstatic that I have come here to explore new places and meet new people?!?!"

The lights show how close we are to the
harbor with ferries going everywhere!!
And so I breathe in the beauty and "different-ness" of the place and remind myself to be curious.... about the people, the culture, the history and architecture, and all that I can learn, see and do while I'm here!!

When I am able to make that shift in my perspective, it seems, I am often rewarded with heart-opening experiences like yesterday when I got to go on an outing with the family (which was a lot of fun and helped me to connect more since the parents are usually at work during the week and tired when they come home). We went to look at an apartment they are thinking about renting this summer for their holiday (in a beach town called Cavi di Lavagna about 45 minutes from here). I had to catch my breath a few times as we navigated QUICKLY!!! through the narrow streets of Genoa with barely an inch to spare between cars!! I thought I was going to die, but fortunately Stefano is a wonderful driver and avoided many breath-holding accidents (as I did my best not to gasp and show my fear....convinced we were going to hit something)!! 


After we saw the apartments, we went a bit further down the coast to Sestre Levante, had a wonderful lunch, and wandered around Bahia del Silenzio (Bay of Silence) which was gorgeous, but freezing cold with the wind whipping off the water!! You can see from the picture of the family, they were all bundled up with hats and winter coats while I was freezing to death with my light sweatshirt and hoodie that barely kept me warm!! But, that was my choice....I didn't want to bring my winter coat with me to drag around for 5 months, so I decided to leave it at home. Now I can only hope this "unusual cold front" will subside soon! They even had snow in Sicily which is unheard of (and, fortunately, hasn't ruined the yummy oranges I keep devouring from there)!! 

On the way there, we took the "fast road" (highway), but on the way back we took the road that meanders around the mountain with gorgeous views of the sea!! (Valentina hates it when I call it the ocean, so I'm trying to remember to call it the sea!!) We travelled through beautiful towns like Rapallo ("the fancy place for rich people"), Camogli ("beautiful, traditional fishing village with easy access on the train" according to Stefano), and Recco (known for its "focaccia col formaggio" in which "rich, gooey cheese is encased in millimeter-thin sheets of dough" according to one travel website)!! I think I might need to take that €5, 30 minute train ride back to these places just to get a better view and try some of that focaccia for sure! 

I guess I better stop for now....so many words to say and thoughts to share, but don't want to bore you all with too many details of my experience!! Maybe these pictures can fill in the rest of the story....until next time!! 

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to