Skip to main content

Are You A Traveler or A Tourist?!?!

Wishing all of you the Merriest of Christmases and Happiest of Holidays - and a wonderful 2019 filled with JOY, Love, Happiness and lots of travel (or time at home.... whatever makes YOU feel the most fulfilled in Life)!!!

As I sit here on Christmas Eve Day (sipping on homemade chicken soup with a sweet dog to keep me company), I'm pondering Life.... as well as the excitement, the challenges, and the JOY of travel!! I'm feeling a bit guilty that I'm not outside in the "momentary sunshine" exploring more of what this city has to offer, but then I remind myself that I'm a Traveler, not a Tourist!!

As a Traveler (in it for the long haul), it's important for me to relax and enjoy the Peace of this moment in order to prepare me once again for whatever's next when I'm on the move!! The more I travel, the more I'm learning that to keep up with this pace of ever-changing landscape on a long-term basis, I have to allow a bit of ebb and flow to my Journey.... a bit of time for resting, rejuvenating and integrating to balance out my sightseeing adventures!

I came across a quote again recently that said something like, "It’s a curious but well-known phenomenon among tourists....once you’ve been presented with a list of must-sees in an area, you feel almost honor-bound to pay each one of them a visit!!"

After the last few weeks of "touristing" and sightseeing, I definitely feel satisfied at having seen all the Sights and Lights of the Christmas Markets. But I'm reminded once again that I really AM more of a Traveler than a Tourist (and maybe it's time for me to be okay with chilling out a bit and relaxing - and letting go of the idea that "I should see it all" just because I'm here)!!

The idea that there's a difference between Travelers and Tourists came to my awareness when I heard this quote a few months ago...  "Be a Traveler, not a Tourist. Try new things, meet new people, and look beyond what’s right in front of you. Those are the keys to understanding this amazing world we live in."

According to a quick Google search, this idea of differentiating between a Tourist and a Traveler might be considered "a distinction used by pretentious people to make themselves feel superior to others." My apologies in advance if it sounds that way!! For me (as a self-identified Nomad who is gradually adjusting to this new identifier), this distinction has given me a greater understanding of what travel really means to me!!

Without planning it consciously, my Nomadic lifestyle has allowed me to be a Traveler.... really embedding myself into the "feel" of a new place for awhile rather than frantically moving from city to city so I can see all the sights! I read somewhere that oftentimes, "tourists are only interested in seeing a country’s sites and attractions as opposed to seeing the people within it." I think that's a harsh perspective, but perhaps something to think about in the broader sense.

One of the things I've realized as I've been developing this "nomadic lifestyle" over the last few years is that many people are Tourists not because they don't WANT to fully experience the culture of a place and get to know the people, but because they are only able to take a week or two away from work (so they may feel as if they have to see as many sights as possible in that short period of time)!

There are many ways in which my busy "touristing schedule" over the last few weeks have allowed me to experience and understand more about each country and culture I've visited. But just like the multiple cups of tea I've consumed in the last few weeks (since the coffee hasn't always been that great!!), perhaps a richer understanding of a culture (like a good cup of tea) requires being "steeped" in the experience for long enough to fully absorb the Essence of the life experiences of the people who live there!!

I didn't even realize that I'm more of a Traveler than a Tourist until I saw myself in these suggestions....

***Research! Understand that the country you are visiting is someone’s home. (This is my favorite part of preparing for a trip!! Understanding the people and their culture using the backdrop of a greater historical understanding can make a huge difference in "getting a feel" for the places I visit!! Maybe that's why this trip felt so different.... because I was visiting too many places to explore each one in-depth?!?)

***Get Lost – Sometimes it is nice to just wander the streets of a new city and stumble upon your own little treasures. (I'm working on being okay with this and seeing each "foray into the unknown" as part of the Adventure instead of seeing it as a mistake or something to avoid next time!!)

***Take public transport – Not only is it cheap (and in some countries bloody scary) – but traveling on public transport is a great way to explore the city like local. (Well....this goes with "Get Lost" above!! It's definitely more reassuring knowing where I'm going, but I meet the most INTERESTING people and have the best stories to recount when I take public transportation!!)

***Be Impulsive – A goal at the end of your journey is great – but be open to changing the way you get there. (I'm definitely working on this with every trip... part of the "Planning vs. Presence" that I'm growing into with each ongoing challenge!!)

***Have an open mind. Prepare for the strange and new. This includes making new friendships with travelers from different walks of life and opening your senses to the new sights, sounds and smells of a new country. (This is probably one of my FAVORITE aspects of traveling to new and unknown places! If I don't know what to expect, it seems I'm even more open to meeting new people and hearing their stories! And really, isn't that what it's all about?!?)

***Don’t be afraid to travel alone – Traveling alone can be both the most fearful, yet rewarding experiences of your lifetime! Prepare for the fact that “nothing is perfect” - remember to breathe, smile and relax! (It's like they got into my head and heard my Mantra!! Breathe - Smile - Relax - Be open to ALL people and experiences to create the best Memories!!)

For some, my life as a Nomad might be less "settled" than THEY would personally be comfortable with; but for other Travelers and Nomads I've met, my life is considered too quiet or mundane! I haven't visited enough places, gotten enough stamps in my passport, or challenged myself enough to be considered a "real" world traveler!! Most of the time, I don't worry about what others think is "enough" (but occasionally I find myself pondering the question)!! I think it's all about being moved out of our comfort zone - and that "zone" is different for each person.... and it's part of our Journey to find that sweet spot!!

Overall, I think being a Traveler is all about experiencing the right amount of "stretching" on each trip (without being pushed too far and possibly "breaking" to the point where going on another Adventure seems too daunting). This seems to be the fine line I'm always dancing as I travel. Perhaps it's this "stretching" I seem to be looking for each time I get the urge for another Adventure because the day-to-day-ness of life can sometimes feel mundane, and I don't feel challenged or stretched in a way that brings me fulfillment.

So....although I've REALLY loved my experiences over the last few weeks (meeting new people and practicing English with them - seeing places I probably never would've seen if I'd just been house-sitting or visiting one location), I'm now aware that this may have been part of why this trip felt so frantic and stressful to me as I planned it! As I mentioned before, there were a lot of "moving parts" the last few weeks - new people to interact with and adjust to everywhere I went, multiple buses, trains, and accommodations, etc. - all things that have kept me on the move and bordering on living the life of a Tourist rather than a Traveler!

So as I sit here pondering the Meaning of Life and what I might be "missing out on" by being away from home for Christmas, please know that I am extremely grateful to all of you who are with me (electronically and in spirit) because each Adventure I take seems to lead me to the perfect place of emotional, mental, spiritual (and YES!!!... physical) stretching to keep me moving forward in my Life's Journey!!

Sending lots of love and Christmas Eve hugs your way, and hoping you all have a special time with those you care about during this holiday season (and know I'm with you in spirit no matter where I am in the world)!!

P. S. This comparison I read about being a Tourist vs. a Traveler made me laugh in light of my love for all things Starbucks...."A tourist will go to McDonalds (insert Starbucks for Judi) in a foreign country, with no shame. A Traveler will go there too but not tell anyone." I guess I'm more of a Tourist than I like to admit.... but only when it comes to Starbucks (hee hee)!! XOXOXO

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to