Skip to main content

Chapter Two....Hello Sunny Spain!!!

Ahhhhh sunshine!!! Glorious, beautiful, bone-warming, Soul-rejuvenating sunshine!! I felt it on my face the moment I landed in Valencia, and I literally felt my body relax! I'm not much of a warm-weather/sun-worshipper but for some reason, I have felt especially renewed and rejuvenated every time I take a moment to stop and feel the warm sunshine on my face! Maybe it's because it was so cold in Central Europe (or maybe something a bit more "energetically-related" to Central Europe's long, heavy history) - or maybe I was just tired from all that sightseeing and cold weather - who knows?!?! All I know is.... I felt my body relax, and I've been enjoying lots of lovely quiet time since I arrived a couple weeks ago!

I spent a very nice 10 days with 4 sweet cats about an hour south of Valencia and besides relaxing and enjoying the sunshine and kitties, my greatest accomplishment was learning how to build a fire (and keep it going)!! As I mentioned before, the houses in Spain are built to keep the inside COOL in the hot 100-plus degree summer weather (which makes it surprisingly cold in winter)!! Indoors, I was all bundled up and still had a "close-to-frostbitten" nose (wishing I hadn't given away my warm, toasty parka!!), but all I had to do was step out into the sunshine and be warmed up within a few minutes!

Once the sun went down (or if I didn't feel like being outside in the sun - because it sometimes got TOO hot!!), I would have to build a fire to keep from freezing! (I later found out - after they returned - that they actually DID have "in-wall heating" which warmed up the place nicely and very quickly, but they forgot to tell me about it...ooops!! Oh well....another tidbit of information to add to in my "future reference" file!!) I am definitely not the most gifted "rustic" person - I've said after every "farm-type" house-sit that this is NOT the life for me (but somehow I keep ending up at places that challenge me in this way.... Geesh)!! HOWEVER, I am now proud to say that if I ever get stuck someplace and the only way to keep myself warm is to build a fire and keep it going - I could probably do that (with matches, the right kind of wood, etc., of course....so don't count on ME in the wild)!!

The other "rustic" experiences I had were dealing with the cats bringing me "presents" (a.k.a. birds they had caught that weren't quite "gone" and the cats would lay them at my feet so proud of themselves...ugh)!! The first time it happened, the cat kept it in it's mouth and I just shoo'd her out the door and closed the window so she couldn't come back in!! The second time it happened the cat dropped the poor little bird in front of me and it started to flutter, so I tried to help it get away - but it flew behind the refrigerator - then under the TV stand - then under the couch - and the cat was creating CRAZY havoc trying to get to the bird!!

It reminded me of that song.... the dog chased the cat - the cat chased the mouse, etc.... I'm sure it would've been quite comical watching it all unfold if I hadn't been so disgusted and freaked out.... me chasing the cat trying to protect the bird, feathers and fur flying, and me tripping over things and trying to scoop up the bird without touching it - ay yi!! Now you might think that happening twice was enough trauma for one week, but NO!!!

The THIRD time it happened, I just gave up and walked away - opening all the doors and windows for the bird to (hopefully) escape - but unfortunately ALL the cats got involved and chased the poor thing around....ugh!! The call of the wild is not as pretty and "quaint" as it is depicted, and I'll take my fully domesticated indoor cats over "farm cats" any day!! (Although they really WERE sweet and wanted to cuddle with me a lot in the evening - but I drew the line at bedtime....I didn't want to find any "presents" in my bed....yikes!!!)

Between keeping the fire going so I didn't freeze, feeding the cats raw meat (ewwww!!), and dealing with the "cat fiascoes​" and bird-presents, it wasn't all rest and relaxation!! But all I had to do was step out onto the terrace, look at the beautiful mountain views (with the sea only a few minutes away), absorb more of that sunshine - and eat FRESH Valencian oranges off the neighbor's tree - and all was well again!! Soooo.... after 10 days with the cats and a midnight run to the Valencia Airport to pick up the home-owners, it was time for the next leg of my Journey!  (And YES!!!.... I'm proud to say I drove in Spain and didn't have any problems....well, maybe a few, but the GPS lady helped me find my way in the dark)!!

After a mid-morning goodbye to the kitties, I traveled by bus to Torrevieja (just south of Alicante where I will return in a week to connect with my NEXT bus to participate in another English Immersion program)!! If I had been able to get a ride, the trip would have only been a couple hours to my next location, but unfortunately there weren't any rides going at the same time/date/place as I needed to go, so I took the 7-hour bus ride instead.....a long, but interesting experience as usual!! (They have this thing called BlaBla Car in Europe - kind of like Uber, but for long distances - just people going from one place to another and offering a ride for pretty cheap...kinda like Craigslist, but people have profiles, passengers leave reviews, etc., so hopefully a bit more predictable and trustworthy!!)

The bus ride was fine though because I got to see the Spanish coastline (and just about every town along the way....15 stops in all!!), and I met a very nice young woman from Romania who speaks 5 languages! I didn't realize this, but apparently the Romanian language is based on Latin, so learning Spanish, French and Italian weren't difficult at all for her (I'm SO jealous)!! I guess I expected Romanian to be more similar to the other Slavic languages in the area, but apparently it's roots are Latin-based (perhaps from people migrating north during the times of The Roman Empire)?!? It was an interesting tidbit of information, and of course it sparked a new topic for me to research and study - fascinating!!

She got off the bus in Alicante and was replaced with a lovely older woman from Columbia, and we bonded immediately!! I didn't realize until I started speaking with her (sort of - in my Spanish that I THINK is better than it really is) - anyway, as I spoke with her, I was aware that I have a preconceived mental picture in my mind of people who speak Spanish (warm, friendly, fluid boundaries.... definitely more like the woman from Columbia than the Spanish people I've met thus far who tend to be more reserved and formal). The young woman from Brazil who I almost froze to death with in Bratislava said the same thing. She's studying in Spain for the year and commented on how much more formal her classmates were than people she meets in Brazil. She said she felt like she knew them well enough, but not as intimately as she would expect after spending all that time together. She used the example of meeting someone on the bus and knowing their whole life story by the time you get to your destination.... kinda like the woman I met from Columbia!!

Like me (the sometimes-overly-friendly-American-who-holds-back-nothing-with-strangers), it was clear that this woman from Columbia wanted to be my friend!! We did our best to communicate and exchanged phone numbers (although that was comical in itself because for SOME reason, we couldn't seem to type on each other's phones or communicate enough information to each other to figure it out!! I kept imagining some young kiddo rolling their eyes at the "old ladies" who couldn't seem to figure out how to input someone's number in their phone... Geesh!! Usually I'm better at this stuff, but it was like a comedy of errors - and a bit of a language barrier because I couldn't remember all my numbers....not just 1, 2, 3, 4, but 46, 79, etc.... trying to figure out country codes....do we need the + and the country code or...?!?!) But we finally got it figured out, and now I have a friend in Columbia if/when I make it there one of these days!!

After such a lovely (but long!!) bus ride, I was ready to be greeted by the owner of the AirBnb and start enjoying my sea view!! Sadly, my arrival at the AirBnb had a bumpy start (nobody was there, but I received a message that the key was hidden under the outside blinds.... surrounded by construction which I wasn't told about - and thankfully hasn't been TOO loud)!! And then once I finally DID find the key, I kept trying it again and AGAIN on the first floor apartments (until I remembered that in Europe and the UK, the first floor is actually the SECOND floor since they start with zero instead of one! (Geesh....all this and I REALLY needed to get inside because I had pretty much finished the liter of water I had bought in the bus station in Alicante!! Note to self - don't drink so much on the bus if you have to use your brain to get inside your AirBnb.... yikes!!)

The apartment and view are beautiful - just what I expected from the pictures! However, the TV wasn't working (not really a necessity, but nice to have just in case) - the Grocery Store that was mentioned on the ad (and most of the restaurants nearby) are closed because it's January and apparently it's a ghost town in this area because....it's too cold!! AND....the heating is extra!! I almost looked for another place, but then I remembered how sometimes I need at least a night to settle in.... usually if I'm all discomboobled from traveling, I can be a bit cranky and nothing settles right with me!

So I waited and tried to "let go" of being irritated about the extra money I was paying (unexpectedly) just to keep my nose from getting frostbite!! And then about 10 pm when I was buried under the blankets wondering if I would survive the night, the nice local lady (who does the cleaning and manages the apartment for the European lady in Brussels) came by and was SO nice and helpful...whew!!! She took care of all the problems and made me feel attended to.... gave me extra paper products since I'm here for the week and not just a couple nights, got the TV working, and would've just let me have the remote for the heater without telling the owner (but darn it - I had already paid for it on the AirBnb website)!! It was amazing to me how in less than 10 minutes, my whole feeling about the place changed! A great reminder that just a little human kindness and compassion really goes a long, LONG way!! (Plus it probably helped that I started to thaw out and relax as soon as she turned on the heaters!!)

I really shouldn't complain, though, because I have this INCREDIBLE sea view, and I can hear the waves crashing against the shore just outside my window (only open a crack so I don't let out all the heat I'm paying for....hee hee)!! I moved my bed to the side of the room where I can sit and look out the windows at the view (not sure what they were thinking having it on the other side of the room?), and I walked down a nice "promenade" along the beach to the closest cash machine (so I can at least buy coffee, milk and bread.... and MORE fresh oranges!!... at the Tienda that IS open less than a block away but only accepts cash)!! AND, I found a nice Irish Pub on the way back from the cash machine and enjoyed a nice big hamburger (so don't worry - I won't starve)!!

Well....this seems like the perfect time to go outside and thaw out a bit in the sunshine, so I'll finish this up! Sending lots of love and hugs to you all, and I'll include some beautiful pictures of the ONE sunrise I saw (once - when I had to get up early to feed the cats!!), and lots of sunset pictures! Enjoy!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to