Skip to main content

My Sweet Spanish Family!!

Happy Easter everyone!! I hope you are all enjoying a nice day and everyone is safe and well?!? I've been thinking a lot the last few days about all the Easter celebrations that had to be cancelled around the world, but especially all those in Spain for whom this week is sacred and celebrated in a BIG WAY with processions and all kinds of religious traditions!! My heart aches for everything my friends in Spain have endured because of the Coronavirus since I left Madrid, but they are pushing on through (just as we are here)!


Thinking waaaaay back to February (which feels like a lifetime ago with all that's happened since!!), I've been reflecting on the many, many changes and unexpected upheavals during my trip (but also the many, MANY blessings and delights.... like the time I spent with "My Spanish Family" in Madrid)!! I've been wanting to share about my time with them because it was so special, and thinking about them on this family holiday seems like the perfect time to remember them fondly and share about my experience!

So, back to February.... after my second week of participating in the English Immersion program (and changing our travel plans due to Durdaana's broken ankle and figuring out what was next for me), I was feeling exhausted!! I had adjusted my expectations about not going to Morocco and was happy with how things were unfolding, and I replaced Morocco with plans of participating in a third week of the English immersion program. But I felt weary to the bone!!

The weekend before returning to Barco de Avila for the program had been fun but very busy, getting Durdaana off on her flight, meeting Miguel's family on Friday night, and having a lovely afternoon/evening "lunch" with German (one of the other participants) and his friends and family on Saturday!! It was ALL so delightful that I didn't want to pass it up, but my little introverted self probably needed a bit of time alone after all that extroverted interaction (and the additional stress of figuring out "what was next" after our change in plans)!!

I figured I would "get my second wind" and take off again as soon as I started talking to the Spanish participants and engaging in the delights of the program, but I just couldn't seem to enjoy it as much as I had previously. I was grateful that the organizers understood my exhaustion and allowed me to take breaks from some of the activities (and late night dinners), but I realized how important all those activities were in getting the "full experience" of the programs!! I met some wonderful people (as usual), but I just didn't feel as much a part of the experience as I had in the two previous weeks.

When I first found the English immersion programs, I used to imagine doing one week after another (for months at a time if they would've let me) because I love talking to the people SO MUCH that I wanted to do it every day of my trip! But after doing three weeks in a row, I think I've decided that two weeks of early mornings, 10-12 hour days of talking, eating rich food late at night and drinking free wine is about all my body (and psyche) can handle!

So.... lesson learned, and I'll only participate in two programs in a row in the future! It was a good reminder that I have to balance the "extroverted me" with the part of me that needs time to sleep, be alone and process my experiences (which was EXACTLY what I had the opportunity to do once I arrived at the home of "My Spanish Family" after the third program)!!

Where do I even begin in telling you what a wonderful, sweet, exceptional time I had with my sweet Spanish family?!? They were gracious and hospitable beyond my wildest imagination, and I SO ENJOYED spending time with them and getting to know them better! After being picked up from the program bus on Friday evening by Miguel, navigating through Madrid traffic, and getting settled into the lovely room they had prepared for me, our family time together began at the grocery store!!

Now anyone who has ever lived with me knows how MUCH I dislike going to the grocery store (and how painful/uncomfortable it can be for me)!! For many "sensory/decision-making" reasons, being in the store and choosing my own groceries is very stressful (which is why I often order my groceries online when I'm alone.... preparing for Coronavirus without even knowing it)!! But they made it fun for me (and they REALLY wanted me to choose whatever I wanted to eat because they were worried about me being at home alone all week and eating lunch alone)!

My favorite part of the whole excursion was that we went as a whole family, and it was a POSITIVE family experience!! I loved watching how they would send the kids to different parts of the store to grab things; loved watching them order meat and fish from the butcher's section (which encompassed the whole back of the store with legs of smoked Iberian ham - a Spanish delicacy - hanging above the meat case); and loved how they worked as a family to make it all happen!!

I was amazed to see how many families were all there together on a Friday night, and how the culture really embraced a "chore" like grocery shopping as a family outing! Maybe that's more normal these days for families in the US, but I don't remember it being a positive family experience when I was growing up (more like an opportunity for alone time away from the family or a "chore" that had to be done whether you wanted to or not!!) - so it was a wonderful paradigm shift for me!

One of my favorite aspects of really immersing myself in a culture and staying with a family is that I got to not only enjoy them, I got to meet, know and enjoy their family and friends!! Every weekend with them included a fun "gift" of meeting and talking with new people! (And thank goodness some of them spoke English - and if not, Miguel or one of the family members or firiends was there to interpret, especially with the older people who don't know any English).

My first Saturday as their houseguest, some friends had a BBQ at their house, and "any friend of a friend is now their friend," so of course I was invited!! I loved my time at the BBQ, and I was again amazed at the attention to hospitality that was given by everyone! Not just "my family" since I was their guest, but by everyone at the party who wanted to be sure I was well-fed, having a good time, and understanding the conversations! It was amazing!

Sunday was the Carnival Parade with various groups participating - school groups, community groups, etc. - and again, I loved that it wasn't just the children all dressed up and participating, the adults were completely immersed in the experience and dressed up (and dancing in the streets as the parade passed by)! Of course we wanted to go to see Angela (their oldest daughter) who was participating in the parade, but it was also just so much fun watching all the different groups dressed in costumes - from age 1 in their strollers to 90 in their wheelchairs!!

The parade was followed by a Paella party for friends and family (one of Miguel's specialties) - and the next weekend was  "Cocido" (a Madrid specialty) on Saturday with extended family, and a birthday party of the mom of one of their school friends - another large group of people gathered together chatting and having a wonderful time - with more paella and BBQ! I loved watching how everyone just brought something and contributed to the "work aspect" of putting a party together - doing the dishes without being asked, picking up the plates and setting out dessert - all the things that just made the party flow more smoothly without being too much of a burden on one particular person or the host family!

One of the other things I loved experiencing is the multi-generational aspect of these gatherings! The children were welcomed and enjoyed (then they usually ran off to another part of the house or outside to play), and the older people were welcomed and respected - encouraged to participate and be a part of the gatherings with everyone else! My time in Spain reminded me again how much I love (and would love to incorporate more into my life) the "slow food movement" of just sitting around and chatting with people for long periods of time (over a meal, coffee or whatever brings us all together)!!

Soooo.... eating and enjoying ourselves together was definitely part of what made my time with them so much fun! I loved my time alone during the day while everyone was at work/school (plenty of time for my "introverted self" to putter and ponder life!!), but when the evening came and it was time to see each other and catch up, I was delighted!! Again, dinner with them was very laid back and seemed to flow without much fuss!! The girls would shower and get ready for bed, then about 9:00 pm, we would all gather in the kitchen with a loaf of fresh bread on the table, some nice meat or egg dish Alicia had prepared, and a salad that all we got to share out of a bowl! It was so uncomplicated yet fun and meaningful!!

I just LOVED the easy-going communal aspect of our time together, and of course everyone did their best to speak English! Occasionally they just HAD to speak in Spanish because it was much quicker (and then someone would interpret for me).They were SO respectful about not making me feel uncomfortable by not understanding what was being said, and I was so appreciative (although when they did speak Spanish with one another, I tried my best to practice listening for words I might recognize in Spanish...and I got a little better at understanding what they were saying the longer I was there)!!

They really wanted me to have the "full Madrid experience" while I was there, so on my last Sunday with them, we all went as a family to do a bit of sight-seeing in Madrid! We walked a LOT (almost 5 miles in total) over an 8-hour period, so I got a bit tired and "lost it" on the train back home!! My knee was hurting and although we had stopped often to rest, it was just a bit too much for me....a repeat of my tour in Rome with Sheryl, and a good reminder that I need to either get in better shape, or limit my sightseeing tours!!


Not surprisingly, they were exquisitely gentle with me (just as they'd been with me since I had arrived), SO kind and understanding, and a bit worried they had caused me harm by "making me" walk so much to see all they wanted to show me in their beautiful city!! I was QUITE embarrassed (because what adult wants to start crying in front of people she doesn't know very well just because she's tired?!?)!!

But they couldn't have been more kind and understanding and in hindsight, of course, it was totally worth it because I got to spend a VERY special day with them and see some wonderful "tourist sites" of Madrid! (And as I told Miguel before heading straight to bed after we returned to rest and be alone, "don't worry....by morning I will think of this as one of my best days here! I'm just exhausted from all the walking and 'lost it' for a minute, but I'll be fine..." and of course I was fine and remember that time with them fondly)!!

So what all did we see/do on that day? We shopped and wandered around "El Rastro" (one of the largest open air flea markets in Europe with vendors who have been selling from "generationally-passed-down stalls" for over 500 years)!! It's a place that's "not to be missed" for many tourists (and one I probably wouldn't have gone to by myself if it hadn't been for them taking me).

We also explored the Plaza Mayor and Puerto del Sol (where we had yummy calamari sandwiches in a tiny CROWDED cafe - the best in Madrid according to my family guides - and usually a place that's even MORE crowded on a Sunday afternoon)!! Of course there were lots less people out and about due to the Coronavirus starting to become more serious there, so at least we didn't have to wrangle with big crowds!

The final really special place we went to was the Royal Palace! Miguel had kindly bought tickets and "description headphones" for all of us, but we had to wait for our allotted time to start. Since I wasn't up for a lot MORE walking and wandering, we enjoyed a coffee looking out over the Palace grounds. It was an incredible structure, and the tour took us through all the rooms, some of which are still used for state dinners, etc. I guess it would be similar to touring the White House (in the olden days when you actually got to see something). It was amazing to see and learn more about all the history that happened in the walls of the palace, and view the beautiful Almudena Cathedral across from the Palace (completed in 1993 in time for the new King's wedding in 2004)!


Overall, it was a LOVELY day with My Spanish Family, and a sweet "topper" to my time with them! I loved sightseeing with them, but more than anything I loved getting to know them and learning more about their family, their friends and their lives! When it came time to say goodbye, it was filled with heartfelt moments just like my 3 weeks there had already been with them!!

The girls each drew me a picture/made me a card, Miguel's sister stopped by with a sweet note and beautiful scarf (along with sweet goodbyes from the parents), and Miguel and Alicia gave me a nice medallion from a Cathedral in the south of Spain that was special to them! They were all careful to only give me tiny things I could slip in my luggage because I had told them I don't usually have room for souvenirs. Their thoughtfulness was ever-present to the end in every tiny gesture and special care they took of me!

I could go on and on about my special time with my Spanish Family, but I'll end for now! I'm sure I'll see them again someday, but I know for sure they'll always be in my heart and memories!! I'm sending all of you love and hugs on this unique Easter Day, and I hope all of you are doing well and finding special ways to celebrate with your loved ones!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to