Skip to main content

City Girl Introduced to County Livin’……

I’ve now been here 5 days, but it feels like much longer (but in a good way)! Working in a remote “hospitality setting” means shift work – and my options are either 5:30 am until 2:00 pm (ugh!!) or 2:00 pm until 10:00 pm (better!!).  So this week I get the late shift (woohoo!!) but next week is the early shift (ugh!!).  Our supervisor wants to make sure we are all cross-trained in opening and closing, so we have to work both shifts – but I’m hoping after next week, those REALLY early mornings are not in my future!

The elevation, dry winds, and early mornings have thus far wreaked havoc on my body (alternating dry and runny nose due to dry winds blowing around lots of allergens), but I’m trusting I’ll adjust pretty soon and be able to enjoy the ranch more fully on my days off (which won’t be for another 6 days)! There are lots of places to walk and hike, but you have to watch out for all the wildlife – bison, bear, elk, deer, snakes, and even a few mountain lions thrown in occasionally!


For the next 3 weeks, we will be having three different groups of spring turkey hunters…..so the pace is picking up today with lots of Guides and guests arriving!!  After that (starting May 13th) fishing season begins. There are a lot of fishing groups and families who come at various times during Fishing Season, so check-ins are spread out through the week instead of all on one day like it is during hunting season.


We also offer Nature Tourism packages which include a Guide who will show you around the property – for those who want to hike around, view and/or photograph animals roaming freely on the property!  And, of course, horse-back riding for all of our guests (mostly families of the hunters/fishermen and our nature tourism guests).  In September, hunting season begins again – and I think they hunt deer, elk, bison, etc.


One of the benefits of working here is that each seasonal employee gets a private room AND private bathroom (almost unheard of in seasonal work where you’re often put into a dorm-style or “bunkhouse” situation sharing your sleeping quarters with 8-10 other people….and sharing the bathroom with a lot more). So this is luxury-livin’ according to seasonal work standards!  And of course the other reason I was excited to come here to work is the amazing 5-star meals they provide for their employees (3 meals a day and housing as part of the wage package)!!


Our meals are usually served in the Employee Dining Room (EDR) and we get to choose from two main dish options – along with soup, salad, homemade rolls and dessert.  But last night and the night before, we got to eat in the main dining room so the staff could practice waiting on us before the guests arrive!  It was YUMMY!!  Truly a 5-star dining experience and a wonderful opportunity to get to know some of my co-workers!


The first day I had a bison burger which is very popular on the ranch because this ranch is known for having “genetically pure bison” (something not found in most of the United States)! It was very good and probably much healthier than “lot-fed-and-fattened” cows with hormones and antibiotics like we usually get at the grocery store! I haven’t tried elk or deer yet, but I DID try rabbit last night (and didn’t care for it)!!


I don’t know if it was because I kept thinking of Thumper (from Bambi)…. or if it was because it had a much “gamier” taste than chicken.  Whatever the reason, I don’t think I’ll try it again because it made me feel sad and uncomfortable thinking about eating poor Thumper!!  The night before, I had Monkfish which the kitchen staff referred to as “poor man’s lobster” because it has a similar taste and texture to lobster – it’s just a little less sweet and a lot less expensive….but VERY yummy!!


Last night at dinner, I was able to chat extensively with two of the Guides (the people who guide the guests around the property – showing them the best places to fish during fishing season – and helping them track down the animals during hunting season).  Wow – they are a wealth of knowledge when it comes to all that “earthy stuff” about hunting, ranching, and keeping the eco-system balanced on the ranch.


One of the things I had no clue about is that part of the reason they hunt is because humans have taken out the “natural predators” (wolves) over the last 300 years, especially as we have taken over more and more land for our own use!  Therefore, humans (as hunters) replace the natural predators and keep the number of elk, deer, etc. within a certain range so they don’t run out of food and water resources. And with the drought they’ve been experiencing the last few years, there are fewer resources so the animals might die of starvation if they aren’t kept at the right levels by the predators (now the hunters – but what used to be wolves).


I don’t know how I feel about this – on the one hand it makes sense, and I guess it’s more humane to end their life with “one shot” versus letting them starve to death.  But it’s just so counter-intuitive to what I’ve always believed….that it’s MEAN to kill all those animals (poor Bambi)!  Then again, I’m keeping an open mind so I can learn more as the weeks and months progress while I’m here!


If I’m being totally honest, I’d have to admit that I’m feeling a little out of my element with all the “earthy, outdoor-types” who are all about huntin’ and fishin’ – and making sure we keep the second amendment! Because of the remoteness of the ranch, I knew when I came here that I should prepare myself for a “Guatemala-like” experience (meaning it would be like visiting a foreign country with fewer “creature comforts” like no cell phone service, no running to the store if you forgot something, limited Internet service, etc.) – but I had not fully grasped that I am going to be surrounded by a whole different sub-culture of people for the next 8 months!!


They are kind, friendly and really good “salt of the earth people” – but they have a very different outlook on life than I do!!  They love to chase down and kill animals for food and sport, and they are all very comfortable with the “creepy-crawly” creatures they may come across while doing it (snakes, spiders, and all other kinds of “earthy” creatures)! Now don’t get me wrong….this is not a BAD thing, it just puts me WAAAAY out of my comfort zone – which for me is a good thing because it means experiencing the challenge of growth, learning and development of new understandings of people who are different than I am – and I love that!!


But let’s face it….I am NOT an “earthy” person and I like my indoor comforts!  I would LIKE to be one of those people who enjoys camping, fishing, being outdoors, etc. (and who knows....maybe I WILL BE one of those people by the end of this 8-month experience)!!  But I don’t like bugs and other outdoor creatures, and I don’t like knowing where my meat comes from because I feel sad for the animals that died so I could have a yummy steak!


Since my primary goal in life is to be congruent in my thoughts and deeds, I guess I either need to come to a place of acceptance about where my meat comes from – or become a vegetarian (which would be quite a challenge in this meat-lovin’ place)!!  And since I don’t want to be close-minded and I DO want to immerse myself fully in this new and very different experience, I’m going to do my best to “explore” all these new meat options (for now) and see where this journey takes me!


I guess I better get going, but I’ll write more soon!  I gotta get ready for work and find out what they’re cooking downstairs that smells so good!! (Oh yeah…. did I mention that my room is right above the kitchen vent?!?!  They start cooking bacon at 4:00 am (or before), so my senses are awake much earlier than usual here!) Bye for now!


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to