Skip to main content

Whew….I Made It Through the Early Shifts!!

I can’t believe it’s been a week since I’ve posted!  My apologies to those who were waiting for word from the Ranch!!  I had last Saturday and Sunday off (whew!!), but I spent most of that time doing laundry, reading, SLEEPING and relaxing to catch up from my long and exhausting trip here – followed by working 10 days straight!  And then this week, I spent most of my energy coping with those EARLY mornings!! 

Waking up at 5:00 a.m. and working until 2:00 p.m. – followed by either a ghastly 3-hour nap (you know the kind where you wake up feeling exhausted, nauseous, confused and tired…and then you can’t go back to sleep when it IS time so you just lay there staring at the clock wishing you hadn’t taken that nap!!).  Or the alternative – trying to keep my eyes open until after dinner (at least) so I could make sure I fell asleep early enough to wake up again the next morning at 5:00 a.m.!!

For those of you early birds who have been doing this for years – my hat’s off to you because it plum wore me out!!  (And then there’s those early AND late birds like my sister, Carol, who stay up until midnight and are up the next morning at 6:00am….bright and cheery as ever!!)  Kudos to you who can do that!!  BUT, I’m not complaining because when I was interviewed, I was warned that this might be the case – being up for the early shift for 8 months…and I’m sure I could adjust if I had to, but fortunately the other two front desk associates seem to like that early shift – so I think I’m off the hook…but only time will tell!!

Fortunately, my supervisor (Elise) does a great job of making sure we have time off between the late shift and the early shift!  Nothin’s worse than working those back-to-back shifts!  In fact, I feel sorry for the waitresses who have to be up for the 4:00 AM breakfast shift....after having worked the dinner shift and not getting done until after 10 or 11 PM!!!  I guess that’s the challenge of seasonal hospitality work – those back-to-back REALLY early and late shifts!! 

And now onto better news….I’m very excited because I have today off (woohoo!!)…then I work 2-8pm tomorrow, 9-5 on Sunday – followed by two glorious weeks of 2-10pm shifts!! Now I must say that I DID enjoy the activity of the day shift!  There were lots more projects to work on – reservations to put in the computer, people to talk with, and more “busyness” in general…but the toll those early mornings took on my body makes me VERY happy to work the afternoon/evening shift for awhile!!  

I find I do my best thinking (and writing) in the mid-mornings (not TOO early, of course) – before I’ve engaged my mind by actively talking to people, etc.  Being in my jammies, sipping my coffee, looking out my window at the beautiful mountain ridge just behind our building….these are the things that inspire me.  And sadly, I’m not as inspired at 2:00 in the afternoon (mostly because I’m so TIRED and dying for a nap!!). Thus….no blog entries for the last week!!  So that’s probably more details than you wanted to know about my work schedule, but there ya are!!

Well I just got back from lunch (steak fajita burrito…yummy!!) and I guess I better do some laundry today!  After 12 hours of sleep I don’t think I need a nap….but then again, ya never know!!  I’ll write again another day….and I hope you enjoyed this “glimpse” into my life here on the Ranch!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to