Skip to main content

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update…

I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!  

Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing – enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (once it finally cleared up and got sunny for a few days)  but mostly I just relaxed and “caught up with myself” (a much-needed break and time alone after a BUSY summer of taking care of three wonderful babies/toddlers who wore me out but blessed my life in such meaningful ways)!!

The front door of my Guest House
The second week of my journey thus far has been in London – the very quaint Islington area where all the houses were built between the mid- to late-1800s and are straight up and down (i.e. 4 floors with LOTS of stairs)!! The Guest House where I stayed for a couple nights had VERY steep and narrow stairs (and I had to go up and down TWO flights just to get from my bedroom to the bathroom – NOT an easy feat during the middle of the night, but I survived)!! 

My Secret Garden
in the heart of London!!
I’ve moved to another house in the Islington area – house-sitting and caring for 4 lovely cats – very loving, affectionate and cuddly (and yes – more stairs, but less steep and only ONE flight of stairs to navigate during the middle of the night)!!  Then again, I have a wonderful “secret garden” in the back of the house which feels like I’m in the English countryside while being smack dab in the middle of London! I’ve posted a few pictures so you can imagine what it FEELS like in my secret garden with the tinkling sounds of the fountain adding to the magic!! 

I haven’t done a lot of sight-seeing while here – mostly just enjoyed being “out and about” (meeting and chatting with people randomly). People keep telling me I MUST see this or that, but nothing seems to be enticing me thus far - until yesterday! Feeling slightly guilty for not having done any sight-seeing, I went to the British Museum amidst the CROWDS of people milling about the dome-covered old structure. 


I enjoyed riding on the traditional red, double-decker bus (sitting on the top part so I could see everything that passed by), and I enjoyed sitting at the Starbucks across from the Museum (watching the crowds of people pass by – wondering to myself what their story is – what their life is like and what “makes them tick”)! So obviously, I’m not a good sight-seer (never have been – and probably never will be)!!  So I probably won’t be reporting on all the wonderful THINGS I see (museums, etc.) unless they touch my soul deeply and have some meaningful implication about my personal/spiritual journey!  

As always, however, I will try to keep you posted on anything significant that comes into my life as I travel to each new place and observe with wonder any insights I receive from interacting with the PEOPLE of each place! My journey thus far has been filled with kind, helpful people – overflowing with random and meaningful conversations with virtual strangers who have done their best to make me comfortable and feel at home! 

I’ve felt immediate connections with both homeowners who have opened their homes to me so I can care for their cats, as well as the lady I stayed with on my first night in Worthing – someone who I just “randomly met” through AirBNB who is a therapist and a lifetime traveler and enjoyer of people!!  We chatted for hours about the meaning of life, how to get more enjoyment out of life, etc., and I was amazed at how at ease I felt in her home (and with her) almost immediately!!

I leave in a few days for France and am looking forward to “settling in” at my long-term place for the next few months.  I have no idea what my time there will be like, but if it’s anything similar to what I’ve experienced thus far I’m sure it will bring meaning, JOY and wonderful connections with people I meet along the way!

Comments

  1. Keep writing Judi! Safe, adventurous and blessed travels!

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to