Skip to main content

Unintentional Walking Tour of London!!

The other day before leaving London, I decided to take the bus that leaves not far from where I was staying (just to see what sights I might be able to see along the way), then walk “a little bit” from where the bus ended to Buckingham Palace.  I saw a lot of beautiful architecture while riding on the bus and even passed St. Paul’s Cathedral and park – very beautiful and very old!!  After “alighting” from the bus (I love that British word they use on the bus recording – “please alight here for” ….whatever the station or stop is) – anyway after getting off the bus, I headed in the direction of Buckingham Palace and walked…and walked….and WALKED!!!


St. James Castle
Somehow in the maze that IS the center of London (amidst all the chaos of tourists milling about everywhere!!!), I wandered almost 4 miles – at first looking for Buckingham Palace, then searching for my return bus (which I finally found – next to a Starbucks – whew)!!  It probably would have been helpful to have a map, but I kept thinking it would be “just around the corner”, so I just kept walking and wandering!!


Clarence House
At one point, I finally stopped and asked a couple guards for directions – and of course since they looked official with their rather large guns, I asked them what they were guarding!  Turns out I'd almost wandered myself into the back entrance parking area of St. James Palace (built by King Henry VIII in the 1530s) and the Clarence House (“the London residence of the Prince of Wales and the Duchess of Cornwall” according to Google!!). I’m sure I wouldn’t have wandered far with those guards at the gate, but it was kinda fun to imagine myself knocking on the back door and saying hello to Charles and Camilla!! 


Buckingham Palace
Where I enjoyed the view from the Fountain!
I finally found Buckingham Palace (a beautiful, ornate structure) where I sat on the wall of the fountain across the street and chatted with a lovely Egyptian family visiting England.  They had a sweet 10-month old boy that I made eye contact with – and from there it was like we were old friends!!  I couldn’t help but think that our world would be so much different with less prejudice and more acceptance if people of different cultures were able to just interact casually like this – seeing that we are all really the same (wanting the best for our babies and curious about all the sights to see in a new place).  I think this is why I travel (and why I encourage travel) – it keeps us from becoming too stagnant in our beliefs and perceptions, challenging us with real life experiences and interactions with those who are different than we are!

I think I’ve had my fill of sight-seeing for now and am looking forward to leaving for France!  I’m a little nervous about not knowing any French, but I’m sure a smile and a lot of gestures will go a long way in helping me to connect with those who speak a different language!  

And let me just say….I’ll be glad to get back to a country where they drive on the same side of the road as I’m used to, especially if I’m going to be driving!!  I can’t seem to remember which way to look for the oncoming traffic when crossing the road, etc. here in the U.K. – I’m just lucky they have good pedestrian laws so I didn’t get run over a few times!!

And finally, I’ll leave you with a couple of tidbits of information I came across in my time here.  I’m a bit of a “random information nerd” and have this compulsion to research things once I become curious about something, so I’ll share it with any of you who might be interested!!  First of all, the reason surgeons are called Mister instead of Doctor in the U.K. is because the original surgeons were BARBERS with medical training.  I’ve watch enough British TV shows and movies and wondered about why they would say “call the surgeon – Mr. So-and-So” (instead of Dr. So-and-So) and now I know why!!

The second bit of information is about the history of how different countries ended up driving on opposite sides of the road.  Here’s what I found…In the past, almost everybody travelled on the left side of the road because that was the most sensible option for feudal, violent societies. Since most people are right-handed, swordsmen preferred to keep to the left in order to have their right arm nearer to an opponent and their scabbard further from him.  

In the late 1700s, however, teamsters in France and the United States began hauling farm products in big wagons pulled by several pairs of horses. These wagons had no driver’s seat; instead the driver sat on the left rear horse, so he could keep his right arm free to lash the team. Since he was sitting on the left, he naturally wanted everybody to pass on the left so he could look down and make sure he kept clear of the oncoming wagon’s wheels. Therefore he kept to the right side of the road.

In the early years of English colonization of North America, English driving customs were followed and the colonies drove on the left. After gaining independence from England, however, they were anxious to cast off all remaining links with their British colonial past and gradually changed to right-hand driving. Here's the link if anyone wants to read the full story: http://www.worldstandards.eu/cars/driving-on-the-left/

So there you have it – little tidbits of information and an account of my unintentional walking tour of London!  Off to France now and "au revoir" (which is about the only French I know for now)!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to