Skip to main content

Farewell Jesi....Hello Fano!!

Ahhhhh....I'm tucked away in my little attic "nest" with my new family in Fano with my double-espresso latte, the sun streaming in through the skylight, and a bit of peace and quiet!!  I forewarned my family last night that I might just have an "introverted day" (meaning I might want to read all day, ponder life, not go sightseeing, etc.) and told them not to worry if I didn't come out of my room all day!! Fortunately, I think they are introverted enough to understand - especially with a 15-month-old and a 3-year old in tow! Ketty, who spends night and day with children as an elementary school teacher and mom, said that she often wishes for time to just hide away with her own thoughts - so she encouraged me to take time to myself! And Francesco (a musician) said to send him a message on Facebook if I wanted biscuits and tea dropped off outside my door (HA!)!! I think my time here will be much more "engaged" in many ways with diapers, dishes and babies (who are making it easy to fall in love quickly because they are so CUTE)!!


So, I feel good about taking time to ponder life - and write you all about my last day in Jesi!! It was GLORIOUS (just like the rest of my stay there) - a beautiful, warm, sunny day in which I did one last "round" through town - sitting once again in the "Church of Death" and thinking about my first impressions.

I realized as I sat there that although this church was less ornate and had a more somber feel to it, maybe that's because the priests spent their time (and money) taking care of the prisoners and people on death row instead of ornate statues, paintings, etc.!! As a Quaker and pacifist, I have a special appreciation for their mission - so I spent some extra time sitting there.... sending good thoughts and prayers to those who had passed through the church over the hundreds of years it's been standing in one of the many "center squares" of Jesi!!


I also made it to the Palazzo Pianetti and wandered around the Museum - awestruck by the amazing paintings, statues and artifacts! I can't decide which was my favorite: the hallway painted in Rococo style (with amazing arches and architectural structure that makes the hallway look like it goes on forever); 


The "jar collection" - a full collection of Renaissance pharmacist's (apothecary) ceramic jars....so cool to think about all the traditional medicines and oils stored and distributed from these ornate jars; or the paintings on the ceilings with marble statues built to make them look like they are holding up the paintings!! 


The ones I thought were the MOST amazing were the paintings that LOOKED like statues! The way they painted them with such an eye for depth perception had me sitting there for a LONG time trying to figure out if they were paintings or statues! It's so hard to describe, but I've attached lots of pictures!


According to their website, "The Palazzo Pianetti, is a significant example of eighteenth-century architecture. It has a main building with two floors and two wings at the ends which extend toward the Italian garden, architecturally closed by a terrace that runs around the yard. 

The marble staircase with two flights built in 1858, provides access to the upper floors: on the walls are stucco bas-reliefs depicting poets, musicians and scientists. (Ooops!! I didn't realize there was a second floor to visit.... I had to head back downstairs to find the bathroom and decided not to head back up that incredible marble staircase because I thought I'd seen it all!! Oh well....maybe next time!!)

On my way home, I found my way to the tea shop that Maria Cristina had taken me to when I first arrived. I wanted to get her a little gift as a way to say thank you for ALL she has done to make my stay fun and comfortable, and this is what came to mind! (I had taken a picture of her tea before leaving the house so I could show it to the lady in the shop, but the tea shop lady spoke perfect English! I had a wonderful conversation about Jesi, the lady's time in Paris, the "tea classes" I need to return to take, etc. The whole tea-buying experience was DELIGHTFUL...she even gave me a sample to try at home!!) http://www.cosedite.it/en/


After finding the perfect tea, I wandered around the center trying to think of some little gift I could get for the kids (and Marco) since they've ALL been so kind and thoughtful during my time there. I came across a homeless man I had passed before (when I didn't have any change), so this time I took it as a sign that I should give him some money (remembering what I had been thinking about while in the church)! So I gave him a couple Euros and then he said he was so hungry and could I get him some bread ("pan" was all I understood). Since I didn't understand much of what he was saying, he basically led me to the pastry shop (apparently the oldest, best one in Jesi according to the kids) and ordered himself a few "paninis" (small bread sandwiches). 

The lady behind the counter looked at me like "are you sure?!?!?" and I didn't really know how to say no - plus I thought of all the times I've thought to myself, "if only I could buy them food instead of just give them money" - so I nodded and paid for 4 little paninis (which ended up only being a Euro each). The homeless man happily left the store (and later I saw him sharing his sandwich with his dog, so that warmed my heart even more)!


As I stood there wondering where to go next to buy "picallo regali"....or little presents (I just love that word "picallo"....it just tickles my tongue and makes me smile!!), I smelled wonderful coffee!!  Ahhhh.....I thought to myself," THIS is where I will buy my "picallo regali" for the kids and Marco!  So I bought some freshly ground coffee and pastries (which, I'm happy to say, I got to enjoy WITH the kids after lunch - except Luigi - sorry buddy) because we just HAD to try them all!! It was the perfect ending to a wonderful stay in Jesi, and I'm excited that I will be able to stay in touch with them (maybe even practicing English with Maria Cristina on Messenger, and hopefully seeing them again before I leave Italy)!!

And so my wonderful time in Jesi has ended (this time)....and now, it's time for lunch with my NEW family in Fano!! It's a gorgeous, sunny day (a little chilly but sunny with blue skies!!), and we hope it will be the same tomorrow when we head to the center of Fano (historic district) for the Carnivale celebration (with floats, LOTS of people and Castagnoles (yummy pastries only made for Carnivale Season)!!

Ciao for now.....!!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to