Skip to main content

Goodbye For Now, Jesi!!

This week has been filled with so many wonderful memories and experiences that I don't know where to begin!! My family here in Jesi has been incredible!! Starting with my special birthday celebration and increasing in hospitality, they've shown me parts of the historical city (mere steps away!!); introduced me to extended family and friends (SO MUCH FUN!!); and taken me to a "Symphonic Queen" concert (an interesting tribute to Freddy Mercury the main singer of the 80's musical group "Queen")...with not one, but TWO performances of "We Will Rock You" (the second one brought on by the stomping feet of the inspired audience at the end)!!


The performance was held in the beautiful Teatro Pergolesi (in case you want to Google it) - an opera house built in the late 18th century with AMAZING paintings and architecture (including a huge chandelier and box seats all along the sides and back). It is "one of the few opera houses in Italy from the late 1700s that has never been destroyed by fire or bombs" (according to Wikipedia)! I downloaded a couple pictures from the theater's website in order to do it justice (and because I didn't want to take pictures during the concert....also, I was a bit overwhelmed by the grandeur of the theater, all the people attending, and the music/performance itself....a LOT of stimulation)!!


It was like attending a rock concert (LOUD!!!), choral concert, symphony and play all wrapped into one performance. The speaking was all in Italian, but the music was in English (with a bit of an Italian accent....but the songs were familiar enough I could understand the words). The interesting part to me was that although I couldn't understand a WORD of what was being said, I could FEEL what was being expressed! It's what I imagine it feels like to listen to an opera in another language....so powerful you feel it on the inside without the conscious understanding of language! It was pretty cool and very memorable!!


Scary face above door
(Not at all like the students!!)
Today (Wednesday) I was invited to Matilde's English class (a whole slew of 13- and 14-year-olds....yikes!!!) to speak about my home! I told them as much as I could think of about Oregon, then they asked questions! They are studying American culture, foods, etc., so they asked questions about those topics. It was interesting trying to explain that many of our holidays (like St. Patrick's Day) and most of our "normal foods" (like Italian pasta, Chinese food, Mexican food, etc.) are culturally influenced by immigrants!! It made me realize with greater clarity how fortunate we are to have such a variety of food options and fun traditions because of our 200-year-melting-pot history!! (Okay.... I won't say more, but I'm just sayin'....something to ponder!!)


San Settimio Duomo
Once they got comfortable and a bit more brave, they "got real" and asked about the typical lives of American teenagers (hmmmm....it's been awhile for me!!), American politics (specifically what I think of Trump.... a common question for us traveling Americans) and whether I prefer Italy or America? I told them I like Italy best right now because the unknown always makes me happiest as I explore and learn more about a place and culture (but of course America is my home where my family lives, so that's also enjoyable)!


Door into Cathedral
It was so much FUN to interact with them, and I was impressed with how much English they understood (and the similarities between teenagers around the world...with a few uninterested, naughty boys in the back but the bulk of students interested and participating)!! Matilde's English teacher seemed impressed with how much more she is speaking thanks to all our conversations for the last couple weeks (which makes me feel hopeful that I've impacted her life in a positive way)! I thought it was interesting that in Italian schools, the kids stay in one classroom and the teachers rotate. I'm sure there are pros and cons to each system, but the Italian teenagers seem to think the American way (students changing classrooms and teachers staying in one room) sounds like more fun!! 


My family here has introduced me to their wonderful extended family: Nonna Nella (Grandma) who is an amazing cook and communicates with her heart.... without understanding a bit of English! She quickly learned about Google Translator and wanted it downloaded onto her phone so we could talk, but most of the time we just find a word or two in common, smile and nod, and communicate that way!! She was even kind enough to knit me a headband to keep my ears warm (very fashionable here), so we took a picture together with me wearing it!


I've met many of their friends and colleagues... many of them teachers and all very kind, warm and friendly, and I got to meet the sister of each parent (and their families) at the weekly gatherings for lunch (each Saturday with Marco's family and Sunday with Maria Cristina's family). I just love that they take the time to stay connected this way....one of the many things I appreciate about this family!! I got to walk to the neighborhood Butcher's and Baker's (but no Candlestick Maker in the area 😉), and I SO enjoyed experiencing the neighborhood feel of walking to the store to get food for the day (especially the cake with Nutella on the inside....yummy)!! 


I decided it was better to take one set
of stairs into the historical city rather
than scale the wall!!
We've had wonderful conversations, great food, lots of wine (and a taste of Grappa....and something called Italian Punch that both about blew my socks off!!!... both considered "digestives" to help relax​ your digestive system after a big meal)!! Most importantly, though, we've created wonderful memories that will last a lifetime through meaningful conversations with open-hearted people who are interested in sharing their lives and learning more about my life....learning about the ways in which our cultures are the same and different (and counting the ways globalization is changing the world....for better and for worse)!! I love that I now have a dozen new Italian friends on Facebook and wonderful, fond memories of my time in Jesi!! 


Not scaling THIS wall!!
There is so much more I could tell you about, but it's time to practice English with the kids!! I have loved living so near the center of this beautiful city with its amazing historical skyline just outside my window! The closest experience I've had to this is my time living in Washington DC, but that history was a mere 200 years old instead of 2000 years old!! It's just kinda cool to be living day-to-day as a part of so much history!! And tomorrow, I'm off to Fano and the sea!! I'm looking forward to spending time with another wonderful Italian family (this time with babies, diapers, and who knows what else?!?!)!!

Until next time....

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to