Skip to main content

Traveling by train is NOT for the Faint-of-Heart or the Weak-of-Knees (or the Overly-Friendly, apparently)!!

February 4th.... I made it to Jesi (pronounced "Yezi") and I am a happy camper!! I absolutely ADORE my new family and am very excited to connect and learn more about them (and from them)!! They are all so sweet, warm, open-hearted and kind (and just as excited to have me here as I am excited to be here)!! It's time for bed, but I just have to say how wonderful it was to sit for a few hours chatting about life (their lives, my life, what's important in life)....all those meaningful things I love to talk about with people!! 

My train trip went well although it was another grey, foggy day so I wasn't able to see much. Very LONG tunnels through the mountains on my way to Piacenza (in case you want to look at Google maps to see where the train went) then a few towns, but mostly acres and acres of farmland with layers of mist and fog creating a mystical feel as I chugged along rhythmically...lulling me into that peaceful place of contentment - thinking about how basically, people are good and kind when met with friendliness and generosity. And from that space, I welcomed the seemingly nice, older man to sit across from me when he stopped at my seat (I figured that was the kind, polite thing to do for an elderly man). 

I was feeling pleased with myself for understanding that he was saying (in Italian) that he was from Napoli....so of course I said I was American; he told me I was beautiful so I said "grazie" and smiled (having experienced more "open" compliments from Latin men before); then responded with a nod and smile when he pointed out we both have blue eyes; and then he asked if I was married (in the future I have to remember to say YES!!!)....and then it went downhill from there!!

There was a lot of gesturing and "amore" but at least THIS guy couldn't get close enough to "rest" his hand on any of my body parts!! "Then again," I thought to myself giving him the benefit-of-the-doubt, "maybe he was just being kind and telling me I looked warm, friendly and beautiful" (the words I sort of understood). But NOPE!!!....the finger gestures and pointing to "private parts" was pretty clear...yikes!! I finally picked up my tablet and ignored him, and he got up and took a different seat.....whew!! Goodness!! I guess I need to be a bit less friendly because I think smiling and nodding a lot must be sending out the wrong vibe (or I'm misunderstanding what men are saying on public transportation)!!

Ahhhhh.... the joys of the journey continue!!

Once I got over my shock, I enjoyed listening to the guy across the aisle on his phone (making a reservation for a hotel in Rome.... I think...??)!! I was pleased at how many words I was able to pick up and felt reassured that I will be able to learn a bit of Italian if people speak slowly enough!! Since the dad in Genoa REALLY wanted everyone to speak English, the only Italian I heard was really fast with no context (and everytime I tried to clarify with the girls what was being said, I either got "the teenage eye-roll" or a look of disgust at my stupidity)!! Ahhhhh teenagers....not the most confidence-inducing tutors to help me learn a bit of Italian (but I have a feeling my luck is about to change because I now have Matilde....a sweet, kind, English-practicing 13-year-old to help me)!! 

After a little lunch in Piacenza (dragging my bags down-then-up the necessary stairs), I finally found my next train! It appears the train stations in Italy don't think escalators or elevators are necessary (probably because people here do so much walking and climbing of hills), so everytime there is a change of trains, it requires going down a huge set of stairs, under the track in a below-ground hallway, then back up another set of stairs to the next train (just hoping you've read the board right and they don't change tracks)!! The train made stops in Parma, Bologna (these are real places, not just food!!), hit the coast in Rimini, travelled through Fano (which I waved at, knowing I would be back there on Sunday), then Falconara (where I made my final train change to Jesi)!! 


So here I am....happy as a clam!! And my sweet new family found out it's my birthday tomorrow (reading my Facebook post....without even using Google translator) and got me these lovely roses for my birthday!! I feel so happy and honored to be here with this family....and now I'm sure I will sleep well!!

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

How Did I Get Here?!?!

This is the peaceful back porch area, a lovely space to enjoy the beautiful view!!   I made it to France a couple days ago and oh my goodness - what a beautiful place I will be staying in for the next few months!! The back yard is like a park with beautiful trees providing privacy and birdsong throughout the day, and I can already feel my soul settling in for a good rest!! My cozy room with morning sun streaming through the windows Gotta watch out for the "concussion beams" on the way to the bathroom - especially at night!! I had a wonderful time getting to know the homeowner and her brood (one very sweet and sometimes rambunctious dog and two darling kittens who sleep together in a basket – so cute).  As she was showing me around the property, she showed me two darling guest cottages and said "because of course you may want to have guests come visit you, yes?" What a lovely, generous woman she is! One of two "guest cottages" for any

Traveling in England – onto France Soon!!

I can’t believe it’s been over a week since I left Portland – seems like much longer than that (and yet time has passed so quickly), and I’ve hardly written anything other than a few “here’s what I’ve been doing” emails to a few people!  So I thought I’d post a quick update… I had a pretty eventful flight – RUNNING through the airport at JFK to catch my flight (the last one of the evening)!!  Missing it would have really messed up all my scheduled planning so I was feeling pretty stressed on my flight from Minneapolis to New York, but I did my best to just BREATHE and trust that all would happen as it was meant to (and maybe I’d meet someone unexpected or learn some lesson if I missed my flight)!!   Fortunately I made it onto the plane and arrived into London Heathrow in plenty of time to catch my transportation to Worthing, England (on the south coast not far from Brighton).  I had a wonderful week in Worthing –  enjoyed walking along the sea and visiting the pier/shopping area (o

"Ciao" to Italy and "Bok" to Croatia!!

Fossombrone (only 20 minutes from here)!! I had hoped to have more pictures to post after some  sight-seeing this weekend (checking out places nearby), but a little stomach bug caught up with me, so I've decided it's better to rest up for the next leg of my "big adventure" (and not take any chances RE: the whole "public toilet/squatty potty" issue)!! Oh well, I guess this is the life of the nanny (since Raquel is also sick and I'm sure we've shared many a germ or two over the last few weeks)!!  The Fortress of Senigallia on the Adriatic Sea!! I've posted a few pictures of what I had PLANNED on seeing so you can imagine where I would have been today (instead of enjoying the sunshine and fresh air wrapped in a blanket in my jammies with a cup of tea)!! I didn't even want coffee this morning so you KNOW I'm not up-to-par!! (And forgive me in advance for the philosophical meanderings of this post....not enough coffee or energy to